Monday, May 30, 2011

Manuscript Monday!

Water by ~RosalineStock

As the sun rose for its unofficial summer debut this morning, people all over the country were slathering on sunscreen, loading coolers, and heading off in search of water parks. Me? Oh, I was revising my manuscript. Doesn’t seem fair, does it?


Those poor people don’t have anything to revise!
(Hah! Just making sure you’re paying attention...)


So, why have I spent all day working on my manuscript? Because it spent all weekend working on me. Seriously.


To the casual observer, it might’ve seemed like I was eating a cheeseburger and discussing the NHL playoffs—but I was really backtracking through my story, trying to find a way to streamline the first chapter.  Does that ever happen to you? Does the writing side of your brain know the difference between a holiday weekend and your usual working hours? Leave a comment and let me know. :) 

P.S. I’m going to try doing themed posts this week, so they’ll all be pretty concise. (Yay!)

To past and present military: Thank you for your service!
Happy Memorial Day, everyone. :)

5 comments:

Tiburon said...

A writers work is never done! The thing about inspiration is that it can happen at anytime. A simple conversation could trigger a chain of thoughts that help get past writers block (or revision block).

It's good to keep the manuscript at the forefront of your mind. You have already spent your time away from it (that break after completing the story) and you are now ready to tackle it head on. Just like a chief tasting their stew, trying to balance out that right blend of herbs and spices, you need to find the balance in your story that works for you.

Anyways, I can't wait for the the themed post! I found my alert for the new blog post, so going forward I will be in the "know". ;)

*Yamato face* Now show that manuscript who is boss!

Carrie Butler said...

Thank you, Tiburon! I'm working on it. :)

JeffO said...

I spent a lot of time this weekend working on mine. And, like you, my manuscript has spent a lot of time working on me.

Dee Fox said...

I wondered why you kept calling me *insert main character's name here* all day!! Thank you for being physically present with your family at least...it was a fun day! :p

Carrie Butler said...

@JeffO: Manuscripts are demanding little things, aren't they? ;)

@Dee: Oopsie! I'll try to be on the correct wavelength next time, Sis. lol